Image 3 of 7
Jekyll Island Club Georgia 40Z1613
40Z1613 Jekyll Island Club Georgia.tif
The Jekyll Island Club was a private club located on Jekyll Island; on the Georgia coastline. It was founded in 1886 when members of an incorporated hunting and recreational club purchased the island for $125; 000 from John Eugune du Bignon. The original design of the Jekyll Island Clubhouse; with its easily identifiable turret; was completed in January 1888. The club thrived through the early 20th century with an exclusive limited membership consisting of many of the world's wealthiest families at the time; most notably the Morgans; Rockefellers; and Vanderbilts. The club lasted 54 years; closing at the end of the 1942 season due to complications from World War II. In 1947; after 5 years of funding a staff to upkeep the lawn and cottages; the island was purchased from the club's remaining members for $675; 000 during condemnation proceedings by the state of Georgia.The complex was designated a historic landmark in 1978. It was restored and reopened as a luxury resort hotel in 1985.
- ©RonSherman.com - All Rights Reserved
- Image Size
- 5120x3443 / 50.5MB